Wednesday 16 April 2008

SECURITY AROUND HEATHROW

Before I started my new life in the UK, we often used to park the car at the southern end of Durban International Airport's runway and watch aeroplanes coming in to land. We found a spot really close to the end of the runway, just outside the perimeter fence and the planes were massive as they came in to land. It was always great fun and he would shout and scream with excitement as the planes soared in barely 50 meters or so above our heads.

When our new life in the UK started and we found ourselves living over an hours drive from the major airport, he was quite disappointed. We weren't going to be able to make our trips anymore. But yesterday we had a free day and the kids are on school holidays so I took a trip to the Heathrow Airport area with my son. Obviously we didn't know the area and had to try and find some good viewing spots.

The differences, obviously, between Heathrow and Durban International Airport are vast. Heading north on the clockwise way around the M25 it becomes very apparent that you are getting near Heathrow. The air traffic is unbelievable for the uninitiated. I'm not sure what the exact stats are, but a plane must take off at least every 2 minutes - it may even be less. If they're taking off in a westerly direction they fly straight over the M25 and they're still very low. My son was in his element, whooping with joy everytime a plane took off and we hadn't even found a place to park and watch yet.

But what has all this got to do with security at Heathrow, you may ask? Well I'll tell you that security may not be perfect but it does work. After a while of watching planes take off we headed for the eastern end of the runway to see if we could find a place to watch the planes coming in to land. We found a great spot outside the entrance to some hire car long term parking spot just outside the perimeter fence. Again there was much excitement as the planes came in to land only meters above our head. At one stage I thought the landing gear was going to break through the sun roof! I grabbed my camcorder and started to film a few of the planes as they came in over our heads. I knew this may be "dangerous" but there were no signs saying it was prohibited.

As we got ready to leave there was a knock on the window and a very well mannered police officer asked me if I had been filming. I'd obviously been seen on CCTV or perhaps they just noticed me as they were patrolling. He asked to see what I had been filming, which I showed him and there appeared to be no problem. He then checked all the vehicle registration details and my address with me and on the computer in his patrol vehicle. There were no further problems and off we went.

Well done to the security at Heathrow and the police! I wasn't doing anything illegal but I could have been. The fact that I was questioned doesn't bother me because I know that he was doing his job and doing it properly. If that makes our lives safer and and the lives of all of Heathrow Airport's users safer then I'm all for it.

I'll take my son back to our spot to watch the planes land again but I might leave the camcorder at home.

No comments: