Sunday 6 April 2008

BANK ACCOUNTS

Opening a UK bank acount in South Africa before I left was probably the best thing that I ever did when it comes to my family's move to England. My tip to all South African's leaving for the UK would be to do the same. In case these comments are perceived as Financial Advice - they are not, they are simply my opinion on a matter that really helped me.

It wasn't even my idea, so I'm not claiming to be a genius. My relationship manager at ABSA Private Bank almost forced me to and I'm glad she did.

Why am I so glad? Firstly, I had a target account to move my SA money to before I left. Secondly, I didn't have to go through all the stress of proving residential address, identification and income when I arrived in England to start my new life. Lastly, it meant that I could operate seamlessly from a financial perspective immediately on arrival.

My ATM card worked in all the cash machines and at all the direct debit/EFTPOS machines at the checkouts at all stores. I also had a credit card to use in a country where I had no credit history. When I needed to pay for anything on-line or over the phone I did so with no problem whatsoever.

Starting a new life in a new country is a stressful event. If you can find a way to eliminate even one small part of this stress, go for it.

1 comment:

Devid said...

Here is lots of useful information about Bank Accounts also you can directly apply for prepaid mastercard, credit cards and debit cards.